The phrase “drink a lot” is relative. I drink more beer than my doctor would like, and probably more than prefers. I don’t have a problem, but the thought of giving up beer is not something that appeals to me. I don’t have many vices, but beer would be one of them. I don’t do illegal or illicit things, aside from drive too fast. I don’t gamble. I don’t have an expensive car to compensate for something. I chew my fingernails, drink too much coffee, swear too much, and drink expensive beer. And now, by reviewing beer on the blog, I can get away with drinking more beer as research (Oooooh, I can start writing off my bar tabs! SWEET!).
These are the 15 best beers I’ve consumed in 2014. Some of them are seasonals, some of them are limited releases, and some of them are mainstays of their brand. What it comes down to is this: I could tell you, without pause, where I drank each of these beers and why they were so good.
I track my hijinx on Untappd. If you’re not using it, or not following me on it, you should consider doing so. We’ll have fun. Or as much fun as one can have on an app for beer drinkers.
- Abita Andygator
- Anderson Valley Brewing Company The Kimmie, The Yink and The Holy Gose/Blood Orange Gose
- B. Nektar Meadery The Dude’s Rug
- Birrera Eataly Wanda and Gina
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Firefly Ale
- Empire Brewing Company Shift Drink (pictured at the top of this post)
- Firestone Walker Double Jack
- Firestone Walker Wookey Jack (below)
- Founders Brewing Company Backwoods Bastard
- Good Nature Brewing Good Natured Blonde
- Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas Ale
- Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan
- New Belgium Brewing Company/NOLA Brewing Company Blackstrap Chicory Milk Stout (below)
- Off Color Brewing Apex Predator
- Stone Brewing Company Stochasticity Project: Master of Disguise (below)